Software Engineer, Backend
Our vision is to change the way people search for property and make life easier with the use of technology. We've been pursuing this since 2006, and today we operate 4 major property search websites in Greece and Cyprus and 10 more in Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Albania and Malta, with millions of visitors each month, disruptive technology and significant added value generated daily. Still, this is just the beginning; our industry is changing fast and, being a leading international proptech business, we want to keep driving change in such a significant life decision for every person, in a significant sector of the economy.
In the heart of our efforts to pursue this vision is our tech platform, which is a microservices, cloud architecture, written in a modern and testable way. We are constantly looking for people with the right technical and cultural fit to join our team of talented backend engineers that demonstrate exceptional technical competency, building and operating the backend services of our tech platform.
As a Backend Software Engineer you will build the backend services that power our platform. Your every day work will involve the design, implementation, deployment and operation of distributed backend services architected for the cloud with a focus on high availability, scalability and low latency.
A successful candidate should be a passionate and talented software engineer that has a proven “get-things-done” mentality, enjoys problem solving, values team evolution as well as personal growth, and is a relentless innovator at any given opportunity.
In this role you will:
- Work with the devops engineers and software architects to discover common development pain points and untapped potential for improvements to our platform and tooling
- Be given opportunities to innovate, automate and simplify instead of “rinse, repeat”
- Build serverless, reliable and distributed services and tools on top of AWS cloud
- Operate and monitor the backend services that you build (You build it, you run it)
- Be required to care about code quality, deliver code of the highest standards, study about coding best practices and evangelize them to the rest of the team
- Play a key role in architectural decisions
- Be empowered to continuously push the boundaries of the team further
- Be expected to broaden your knowledge and share the new knowledge with the rest of the team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or related field
- At least 1-2 years of relevant experience
- Experience with Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and/or Design (OOD)
- Understanding of web standards and architecture
- Obsession with seeing projects through to completion with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate with non-technical stakeholders
- Completed military obligation (if relevant)
Nice to have
- Experience with PHP frameworks is a plus
- Practical experience in version control (git)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with Agile software development (Scrum, Kanban)
- Basic understanding of microservices, Web Services and REST architectures
- MSc in Computer Science / Software Engineering or related field
- Amazing and modern working environment. All things startup and flexible as long as you bring results.
- Attractive compensation package with great potential.
- Private health insurance on our company's group program.
- Continuous Learning: access to a broad wealth of resources for professional and personal development.
- Various office perks.
- Opportunity to learn and develop in a leading tech startup which is growing very fast and currently manages the top 3 real estate verticals in Greece and multiple brands internationally: indomio.hr (Croatia), indomio.rs (Serbia), indomio.si (Slovenia), indomio.ba (Bosnia and Herzegovina), indomio.me (Montenegro), indomio.bg (Bulgaria), indomio.com.mt (Malta), spitogatos.com.cy (Cyprus)... more to come soon.
- Opportunity to become part of a broader international team, consisting of some of the smartest people in the industry. Spitogatos was the first Greek VC-backed online business (in 2009 from Oxygen Capital), and since 2014 has become part of a big international player, Real Web SA, with presence in numerous countries in Europe (Italy, France, Spain, Netherlands, Greece, among others), in several industries / business models.